• ReliableVA | Talent Hunter

Three things I wish I had known before starting a small business

Updated: May 17, 2018



With a few years of business experience under my belt, I can definitely say that " hindsight is 20/20". If I had known five years ago, what I know today, it would have saved me countless hours, energy and money.


1. As the saying goes, "you never get a second chance to make a first impression". Not having the right packaging and presentation can make or break any business. While I put a great deal of effort into my packaging and presentation, it was an expensive and time-consuming endeavor,  until I found Bags and Bows by Deluxe . Now I get branded bags, boxes and other packaging for up to 30% less and in bulk!


2. Another great saying is, " Time is money". In the past I used a combination of programs like Excel spreadsheets, calendars and QuickBooks to track my projects and to create invoices and reports, but then I found Freshbooks! Freshbooks is cloud-based accounting software that allows me to track my time, projects and payments, in addition to creating invoices and reports. It is, hands down, much more efficient and easier than before.




3. You get what you focus on. Starting your own business can be scary and overwhelming. It requires a great deal of focus and self motivation. If I could give advice to anyone just starting out, it would be to surround yourself with like-minded individuals. I choose to use the Next Big Idea Club, which is a subscription service that sends out great motivational books and videos by the most thought-provoking and dynamic authors, like Sheryl Sandberg, author of Lean In, and Hutchinson & Gladwell, the authors of Endure: mind body and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance.

Whether you are just starting out, or looking for ways to improve your productivity and bottom line, nothing can beat having the right tools and mind set at your disposal. I like to follow the 80/20 rule . I choose to spend 80% of my time networking, learning and  growing my business. The other 20% is spent on things like boring paperwork and maintaining inventory. 


4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Calling all licensed therapists across the United States! We have several clients seeking remote therapists in all disciplines to counsel children, young adult, adult populations. Minimum Requirements

The Outbound Operations Engagement Manager will report to the Director of Operations and will be responsible for building an inbound/outbound call center team in the healthcare industry. Location: NYC